Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sturdy silhouettes

Titanocamelus polydentis (also known as "sturdy") is one of the creatures I have already designed, but I will post my process here for record-keeping (and for keeping this blog interesting).

I usually start off with a bunch of quick silhouettes, to try and eke out an interesting shape or concept. Sometimes I'll hit on something I like pretty quickly and sometimes I go through many iterations before I find a good silhouette. When I'm drawing silhouettes I often switch between ideation and refinement, and as often as not I'll hit upon an idea for a different creature than the one I think I'm working on. Half the time I'll look at something I've just drawn and get an idea for a different beast entirely. For Sturdy however, I started off with a fairly clear idea of what I wanted to be its defining feature, which is an extended lower jaw.

Silhouettes are an easy way to run through many versions of a design quickly, but they also help you see now easy a creature will be to identify from a distance. Especially when designing with a video game world in mind, it is important for the player to be able to recognize different enemy types quickly and without detail. (I plan to exploit this at some point by having a "mimic" creature that impersonates a much more dangerous foe). Sturdy is an herbivore (or fungivore, it eats mostly mushrooms) that travels in small family herds through mostly open areas. The bulky body and low head will make it easy to spot.

Some of these were done with a brush pen, some were done digitally, and the sketches were done with a ballpoint pen.






No comments:

Post a Comment