Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sturdy drawings

After I chose a silhouette (or in this case a tiny sketch) I scanned it and from that point on worked in photoshop. This image is in an orthographic view, so you can only see one side, but I should really put in an indication of the other three legs... That would also help it feel less flat... But anyway. 

Here is the original thumbnail, about one and a half inches long drawn in ballpoint pen.
Followed by a quick sketch over that in photoshop. I removed the horns for visibility, then never put them back in. I'm still on the fence about whether it needs them or not. My original idea was that its head was so heavy it used its horns like sledge runners to push itself around, but that seems a bit silly.


From this point on I compiled a whole bunch of anatomical reference (mostly from animal anatomy books). I used references of cows, buffalo, and rhinoceros anatomy mostly. 
I really want the creatures of Dark Waters to be strange but believable, so I am trying to insert as much real anatomy and structure into their design as I can. 

This muscle diagram was really helpful in shading the drawing. 

The arrow here was just to remind me of the light direction, then I never erased it. 

I was looking at the buffalo, and thought it might be interesting with that type of patchy fur, but I'm not sure it adds to the design particularly. 

Next up: color!

No comments:

Post a Comment